Skip to content
- As a copywriter for Haines & Company, I wrote a wide range of copy and content for organizations like the Boy Scouts of America, Goodwill Industries, Ronald McDonald House Charities, and branches of the ASPCA. While I specialized in direct mail and fundraising letters, I also wrote website copy, radio scripts, telescripts, promotional magazine articles, and even press releases.
- As an Associate with Advanced Insurance Designs, I either co-created or created all company newsletters from September 2019 until March 2021. This included writing seasonal articles and promotional copy focused on insurance needs. I also created copy for and scheduled Constant Contact emails for in-house promotional events throughout the year.
- As a UX Copywriter and Content Editor for Drips, I remotely wrote complex SMS and IVR scripts for detail-oriented marketing campaigns. Since each project was usually time sensitive, I kept to an average turnaround time of three hours for writing, fact checking, and making basic edits to scripts that could cover up to two weeks of personalized promotional content.
Line Editing and Critique
- As a part time freelance book reviewer, I spent five years crafting complex book reviews for the now-defunct Luxury Reading. I was also allowed to write simple promotional materials for the site, as well as a list of questions for a featured author interview.
- I translated my experience with Luxury Reading into working for the nationally recognized institution Publisher’s Weekly. I wrote reviews for them, briefly, supporting their editors during a short promotional contest.
- Working as a Line Editor for The Writer’s Group under Kora Sattler, I developed a free class for the group, called “Why You Aren’t a Professional Writer… Yet.” I was also able to co-edit the group’s anthology for that year, The Fourthcoming.
- Offered personal line editing services to individual writers within The Writer’s Group. Most notably, author Laura Todia as she wrote her heartbreaking autobiography “Lake Erie’s Child”. I also provided written content, direction, and critique for the as-yet unnamed autobiography of Live Mix Tapes’ founder Pesh Shah.
Screenwriting, Producing, and On-Camera Work
- Wrote three scripts for the TV version of the indie film Quarter Bin. I also wore many hats during the early stages of the production – including doing simple audio recordings and providing shoot locations for a pivotal scene.
- Followed the head Quarter Bin writer, Taliesin Govannon, to his next project Dark of Moon. Acted as associate producer, script supervisor, production assistant, extra, and as-needed boom mike operator.
- Worked with Blue Green Productions, wearing many hats on several small projects, including his short film Spirits (2012).
- Acted as a script supervisor on Ominous (2012) under the guidance of award-winning indie film makers David Manocchio and Quintino “Tino” Zaccardelli. Followed the team to the indie film The Deprogrammer where I acted as an associate producer.
- Created dozens of multimedia presentations for JOG Medina, designed to help participants get back into the workforce. Presented each lesson to the group as a whole, complete with follow up exercises.
- Created and presented a class to UsToWork participants, designed to help job seekers find a new approach to their job search. Earned the company hundreds of dollars for presenting this class, as well as generating contacts for future projects.
Online Content Creation
- Maintained a small, part-time freelance writing business, specializing in copywriting and line editing, for 10+ years. Worked with dozens of clients in multiple industries and organizations around Northeast Ohio.
- Wrote blogs, social media posts, and online content for a large number of online publications. I still maintain a small portfolio of this work – both past and present – on Medium.com.
- Received on-the-job training at the company BrainHost to help new website owners learn how to maintain a WordPress platform hosted on the company’s servers. Was so good at explaining the process to new site owners that I was promoted to their sales team for several months.
- Used these skills to rebuilt the UStoWork website to Carol Howlett’s specifications, and created tailored content that would emphasize the group’s message of finding work for the job seekers that traditional job hunts often overlook.
- Also used my knowledge of WordPress, CMS writing, and SEO Optimization to create small business websites for a select list of regional clients. Chickadee Hill in Wadsworth, OH is a notable example.